In this video Dwayne Blais teaches the fundamentals of backwards skating.
- start with good hockey position.
- carve c-cuts out in front of our body, not straight out to the side.
- fully extend out through the toe, snap the toe, and bring the heel back in under your body.
- the glide foot is under our body and maintains a straight line.
- keep hips square, not swiveling side to side.
- upper body movement should be limited, not too much swinging the arms side to side.
- shoulders should be over knees, not too far forward which can throw you off balance.
- head stays up and shoulders stay square.