A simple shooting exercise for players to practice changing their shot angle off of a pass.
Progression # 1:
- Have player become comfortable with shooting quickly off of a pass.
Progression # 2:
- Have player receive puck, pull puck around cone (to change their shot angle), and get a quick shot off.
- Change up the passing location.
- Shoot around different objects.
- Have players skate to "open area" to receive a pass before they get a shot off.
Why practice this skill?
It is important for players to understand the benefit of changing their shot angle. Changing your shot angle can help get the puck around a defenders stick or shinpads and it also is confusing and harder for a goaltender to track.