The Bourque 3 on 3 cross ice game is similar to the Gretzky Game but now the designated passers behind the nets are referred to as "Bourque." The "Bourque" is behind their own goal line and helps to initiate breakout passes to their teammates. It is important that players regroup to support their "Bourque."
- Players must use their "Bourque" on a change of possession before making an attempt to score.
- Players may attack the other team's "Bourque" but they may not shadow them.
- Players that are playing in the 3 on 3 can go behind their own goal line to help out their own "Bourque".
- There is no limit to how often a team uses their "Bourque."
- Shifts should be 30 - 40 seconds to keep a good pace and high intensity.
- If a puck goes out of play, the coach can dump in a new one.
- Have the "Bourque" work on a good first pass.
- Use "false Information / deception" (fakes & looking off the pass) to get their players open.
- Players need to skate back to support their "Bourque."
- Fill three lanes and skate to open ice.
- Can be 3 on 3 or 2 on 2.
- Can have 2 Bourque's to allow for D to D passes before the breakout starts.