The Gretzky 2 vs. 2 Game from Topher Scott is a fun small area hockey game that has one major modification to a normal 2 vs. 2 game: each team has two "Gretzky's" behind the net that they can pass to. These "Gretzky's" behind the net must stay behind the net. The setup of the game allows for a lot of creativity, and give & go's!
- In a half ice setup, place two nets facing each other in opposite face off circles.
- Each team has 2 players behind the net in their offensive zone. They can not go in front of the net.
- Have a 2 vs. 2 in the middle of the ice.
- To start, coach can pass a puck, take a shot on net, or chip it in the middle of the ice for a battle.
- Keep score!
- Offensive players:
- Players in the middle of the ice: work on give and go's! Pass and get open.
- Players behind the net: know where you want to pass to before you get the puck. Use the net as protection and get creative!
- Defensive players:
- Head on a swivel and know where all of the players are.
- Keep stick on ice to block passing lanes.
- Can be 2v2 or 3v3 in the middle of the ice.
- Can allow 1 or 2 "Gretzky's"
- Can require players to only hold the puck for 1 or 2 seconds or a whistle is blown.