In this video, Coach Eaves demonstrates the 5 Part Lateral Blue Line Series with The Battery Hockey Academy. This series gives coaches and defenceman a simple but effective progression to help develop skills to walk the blue line. Being able to walk the blue line with their head-up will allow a defenceman to generate more offense by creating space and finding passing & shooting lanes!
- Stationary Shot: Backhand to forehand shot.
- Backhand to lateral walk and forehand shot.
- Backhand to forehand fake to slap shot.
- Backhand to forehand fake to snap shot.
- Random puck placement by coach and a quick shot on net by player.
- Head up! If a defenceman plays with their head up, lots of offense will be created.
- Work on deception. Really sell the fakes with the eyes, body and stick.
- Use legs to explode laterally.
- Keep hands away from body when shooting so you can generate more force (pull back top hand and push bottom hand forward).
- The coach can pass the puck to different sides of a player.
- The player can work on different fakes or escapes.
- Instead of taking a shot on net a coach can add a cone or a stick to hit to practice their passing.
- Can add a goalie or a player in front to practice for tips.