Coach Ben Eaves demonstrates the Stationary Wall Pull For Defenseman at the Battery Hockey Academy. This exercise helps defencemen practice pulling a loose puck to space while they walk the line to get a better shooting (or passing) angle and take a shot on net.
- Line a puck (or a group of pucks) against the boards on the left-hand and right-hand side of the ice.
- Line up defenceman at the face-off dot. On the whistle they jump down to pick up a puck, cup it as they pull it back to the blue line, walk the blue line and fire a shot on net.
- A player should work on both sides of the ice.
- Cup the puck with the blade of your stick
- Keep your head up as you walk the line (if you do this in practice, you will be able to do it in games). When your head is up you can easily hit the net or look to make a pass to a teammate
- Coaches can add obstacles that the players must pass or shoot around.
- Coaches can add light pressure so the defense can work on escapes.