4 vs. 2 No Stickhandle Game
Power Play Reps with Mad Attackers
Redwing 2 V 3 or 2 V 4
Special Teams Entry Game
Special Teams Scrimmage
Please Note: The Practice of the Week is usually designed to be utilized across multiple age levels. With that being said, we highly encourage you to adjust the drills based on your team's age and skill levels. These drills and practices can be modified to become more basic or more advanced.
Practice Theme: The drills & games in this practice help teams work on power play passing & penalty kill principles.
Power Play Coaching Points:
- Keep head up: it is critically important to keep your head up and scan the ice to identify where open ice is, where the defenders are, and where your teammates are.
- Use deception: create space & openings by using your head, eyes, body or fakes to make the defenders think you are going one way with the puck. When they bite, go the other way.
- Move & get open: when you do not have the puck, jump to open ice so you are an outlet for your teammates.
- Shoot quickly after a pass: increase scoring chances by shooting quickly after a pass, since the goalie and defenders will be out of position.
Penalty Kill Coaching Points:
- Keep head up: scan the ice to know where your teammates are, and where the opposing team is.
- Keep sticks on the ice: keep your sticks on the ice to block passing & shooting lanes.
- Be smart when chasing: work to protect the high percentage scoring areas inside the dots. Only chase when there is a good chance you can win the puck.
- The 1-3-1 Power Play - setup & examples.
- Power Play Roles & Skills Webinar from Topher Scott
- Learn how to create a IHS practice plan.
No systems have been added to this practice
No off-ice exercises have been added to this practice.