This progression requires two defense at each end. They will do a simple "D to D" breakout and then pass to the center who will take on the defender from the other end in a 1 on 1 situation.
Keys for defenders:
- re-take as much ice as possible to close the gap
- work in tandem so that when the D to D pass is made the defender is facing up ice
Keys for forwards
- Make sure to time the swing through the slot so they are receiving a horizontal pass and not a vertical pass coming through the slot.
- Read the defender on zone entry and if the dender has a poor gap then use space after entering the zone and look to shoot through defender
- If defender has good gap control then move feet and drive hard to the net protecting the puck.
good d-d control