U8 Skating Stations - Skill & Games
This practice utilizes four stations for the bulk of the session to develop skating fundamentals for balance, posture, edge control and change of direction.
Key Coaching Points:
- Heads Up, Eyes Up - Remind players to constantly be looking around the ice, aware of where opposing players are and where there is open space
- Knee Bend - Encourage a deep knee bend in order for players to feel more comfortable on their edges, working on tight turns and quick change of direction
- FUN - These drills all encourage a multitude of skill development, but all focus around fun, teamwork, and competition
- Warm Up (10-min) - Halfway Around the World - Head On
- Stations x 4 (8-10min/station)
- Freeze Tag (10-min)
4 Stations - roughly 8-10min per station
- Obstacle Course Tag
- Sharks & Minnows
- Tennis Ball Hockey
- Tight Turns & Stops with Puck
This game can be expanded to be played in one full zone.