This is a great warm up routine that allows players to work on some basic fundamentals as well as incorporating elements of decision making and awareness.
The diagram and activities outlined assume 5 players per group. Each set is about 40 seconds. After the set the players rotate to the next zone. Zones #1 & #3 are active and zone #2 is rest where players are stationary passing. Here are a set of suggested activities for zones #1 & #3.
- Inside edges (skates stay in ice) quick wide lateral moves pushing of inside edges. On two whistles players skate as fast as they can making creative moves to open ice including jam turns. On one whistle they go back to inside edges with skates in ice and sharp lateral moves. (repeat)
- Inside edges (skates stay in ice) transition to backwards while controlloing the puck. On two whistles players do an escape move and back to inside edges with skates in ice doing strong lateral moves off their inside edges.
- Forwards using forehand only. On 1 whistle go backwards while handling the puck. On 2 whistles back to forwards using forehand only.
- Passing 1 puck - emphasize play without puck. Always ready for a pass. Use verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Passing 2 pucks - emphasize play without puck. Always ready for a pass. Use verbal and non-verbal communication.
- 4 vs 1 keep away
- 3 vs 2 keep away
- Finders keepers - (5 players / 2 pucks) players goal is to control a puck at the end of 40 seconds