The Gretzky 2 vs. 2 Switch game from Kendall Coyne Schofield is a great small area game that has a modification to the normal Gretzky 2 v 2 Game: the "Gretzky" behind the net can switch with active players at any point, so long as at least one player is behind the goal line. This modification allows more options for player to create offense and encourages exchanges and switches.
- In a half ice setup, place two nets facing each other in opposite face off circles.
- Have a 2 vs. 2 in the middle of the ice.
- Each team has 1 player behind the net in their offensive zone. They can not go in front of the net unless one of their 2 teammates activates a switch
- To start, coach can pass a puck, take a shot on net, or chip it in the middle of the ice for a battle.
- Keep score!
- Offensive players:
- Players in the middle of the ice: work on give and go's and exchanges with your teammates and your "Gretzky"
- Players behind the net: know where you want to pass to before you get the puck. Use the net as protection and get creative. Communicate with your teammates on opportunities you can create through switches
- Defensive players:
- Head on a swivel and know where all of the players are.
- Keep stick on ice to block passing lanes.
- Can be 2v2 or 3v3 in the middle of the ice
- Can allow 2 "Gretzky's"
- Can require players to only hold the puck for 1 or 2 seconds or a whistle is blown