The Circle Scoring Game is a variation of Kendall Coyne's Triangle Scoring Game.
The major difference in this game, is that the offensive players can move around the outside of the circle, and they do not have to remain stationary like they do in the triangle scoring game. Coaches can also modify the game by blowing the whistle a second time to allow offensive players to move through the inside of the circle.
The Circle scoring game is a race to score before the other side does. This game involves moving the puck quickly and using deception with your passes and shots. It's a great game to work on quick puck movement and switches while the defensemen work on pressuring and having their stick in the proper lane.
- 2 Nets should be set up on the goal line in an offensive zone in line with the face-off dots
- 1 puck per circle (on the outside)
- 3 players on team "X" on the outside of the circle
- 1 player from team "O" on the inside of the circle
- Set up the other circle with the opposite set of players - 3 "O"'s on the outside and 1 "X" in the middle
- Coach should be ready with a pile of pucks up top
The objective of this game is for the players on the outside of the circle to score before the opposing team does. Each goal counts as a point and the game can go up to a certain number, with team "X" playing against team "O"
- On the whistle the game starts
- The players on the outside of the circle can move around the outside of the circle, and can pass the puck through the circle. Coaches can modify this and allow offensive players to skate through the inside of the circle.
- The objective of the players on the outside of the circle is to score before the outside players of the opposing circle score
- It's a race to see which team can score first
- The player on the inside of the circle can move anywhere throughout the circle, but not leave it
- The objective of the inside player is to clear the puck out of the circle
- Whichever team scores first is awarded a point
- As soon as 1 side scores, the whistle blows and the next set of players moves in for each circle
- Keep Score!
- Coaches can award a point to the team when a player on the inside of the circle clears the puck
- Coaches can make clearing the puck and scoring different point values
- You can require one or two-touch passing/shooting
- Can set this up as a station and only utilize one circle and one net
- Can blow the whistle and allow players on the outside of the circle to start moving through the circle
- Use Deception - deception can be used by using your eyes and body language to be deceptive with passing and shooting to throw off the defender and/or goaltender
- Quick Release - to be successful, this game requires quick puck movement and quick releases when scoring opportunities present themselves
- Active Stick - the player in the triangle needs to have a very active stick as the puck moves around and through the triangle