The Box Game from Brad Flynn is a small area game that works on quick decision making, transitions, give & goes and net front play.
- Teams line up at the blue line.
- Coach dumps a puck in the corner, which starts an in zone 2 on 2.
- The 3rd person in each line jumps into the zone at the point and they are the "slide player" at the blue line. They are allowed to go to the boards, to the coach. The slide player can pass or shoot.
- Anytime there is a change of possession, the team that got the puck must pass to their slide player and work to get open, or get to the front of the net.
- Part 2 progression option: Coaches can move the slide players up to the tops of the circle, so there is a smaller amount of space, which will require quicker decision making and give the slide players more opportunities for quick shots to the net.
- Defending team: keep sticks on the ice to block passing lanes and angle players to the outside of the ice.
- Offensive team: communicate, practice give & goes, and quick shots on net.
- Slide players: keep your head up and look to make quick passes, or shots on net if there is traffic in front.
- Can reduce the playing area as shown in the video
- Can make this a 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 game.