The NEHDA Defenseman Carousel from NewEdge Hockey helps players practice passing, communication, awareness, timing, and more. This drill should have flow and a very strong focus on quality passing.
- Pucks and players in the corner (as shown in the diagram and video).
- Drill starts by having Player 1 pass to Player 2 at the point. Player 2 skates laterally, then gives the puck back to Player 2 (who opens up to receive a pass).
- Player 2 takes the puck behind the net to give a breakout pass to Player 3 (who is opening up along the boards). Player 3 heads up ice and gives the puck to Player 1, who has skated across the blue line.
- Player 1 takes a point shot, then jumps down into the slot and receives a pass from the next player in line (Player 4) for a shot.
- Player 3 now jumps over to the other side of the blue line and receives a pass from the next player in line (Player 4). This drill is continuous.
- Passing: The focus again is pristine passing and communication.
- Timing: There are lots of moving parts in this drill so awareness and timing are critical components. Be on time, be patient yet prepared to move.
- Head up! All players in the rep should position themselves to see as much of the ice (and players) as possible at all times.
Defesne half ice drill