The 6 vs. 3 Valley Game from Coach Steve Wiedler is used as a penalty kill drill that has many important concepts that players can work on.
- 3 defenders in the "Alley" that work to disrupt passing
- 6 Offensive players that are outside of the "Alley" that work to score a goal. The offensive players must pass the puck across the "Alley" at least once before they are allowed to shoot.
Defensive Coaching Concepts:
- Angling: eliminate time and space with your body and stick.
- Disrupt Passing Lanes: identify passing lanes, close the lanes with your stick and when you are close, stick on puck!
- Keep Puck On One Side: work to keep the puck on one side of the ice.
Offensive Coaching Concepts:
- Head up: pay attention to where your teammates are and where the defenders are.
- Use Deception: Look one way to get the defenders to move their stick and pass another way.
- Get Open: if you do not have the puck, work to get open and out of a blocked lane.
- Can set this up to be a 6 vs. 3 or a 4 vs. 2.
- Can require players to pass over the "Alley" 1, 2 or 3 times before they shoot.