3 V 3 Keep Away With Team Bumpers is a fun activity that can engage a whole team. This game can be modified to handle more players (4 v 4) or less (2 v 2), and be set up inside a zone as well. For this example we will explain a 3 V 3 setup in center ice.
- Divide your team up into 2 teams of 6.
- Each team will have 3 players inside the playing area, and 3 players outside on the blue line.
- On the whistle, play 3 v 3 inside the center area.
- Players on the blue line can move side to side on the blueline to give their teammates better passing options.
- Keep score, each pass is a point!
- After 20-30 seconds, blow the whistle, the players on the blue line rotate in to play keep away, and the players inside the zone, rotate out to the blue lines. Encourage quick transitions!
- Players on the blue line need to be alert and be passing options for their teammates
- Communicate with your teammates
Concepts for team with the puck:
- Puck protection
- Give & go’s
- Scan the ice / awareness
- Get open and be a passing option if you do not have the puck
Concepts for team without the puck:
- Scanning the ice / awareness
- Stick on the ice
- Communicate with your partners as to who goes after the puck carrier
- If your team gets the puck, transition quickly to be an outlet for the puck carrier