- The game is played on a 200 foot by 42.5 ft playing space. The ice is cut in half length wise.
- Move both nets in line with the dots while keeping them on the goal line.
- Pucks are placed at both ends in the slot (outside the playing area).
- .The defending team (Red) players line up on the blue line.
- One group is along with boards and the other line is on the imaginary mid-line.
- The attacking team (White) players are lined up in the same formation on the opposite blue line.
- It is a 2v2 continuous scoring game
- The rotation is Offense — to Defense — Rest
- The game begins with a 2v2 in one zone (White on Offense & Red on Defense in the video)
- The Offensive team tries to score a goal & will receive another puck from the Coach IF:
- A goal is scored
- OR a shot hits the net and goes out of the boundary
- The Defensive team attempts to steal the puck and pass it up to their line of teammates waiting on the near Blue Line.
- The Defensive Team receives a puck from Coach IF:
- The Offensive Team misses the net with a shot & it goes out of play
- OR if the offensive team gets their puck knocked outside the field of play
- Once the Defensive Team (Red) passes the puck up to their teammates:
- The Defensive Players are done
- The (former) Offensive Players (White) now must backcheck into their own end & play Defense
- The New Offensive Players who just received the puck (new Red) skate to the opposite end where 1 player has a breakaway attempt (NO 2 vs.0 opportunities)
- Now it becomes a 2v2 at the opposite end with Red on Offense & White on Defense
The Game is Player for a Set number of minutes or to a certain score. (if the game becomes slow/sloppy, take a halftime & then come back when they are fresh).
For the Defensive Team:
- How to handle a 2v2 (while tired)
- Communicating between partner
- Keeping body between the Offensive Player & your Goalie
- Stick position, angling and reacting to loose pucks
- Making a big defensive play (to end the shift, advance the puck, live to fight another day)
For the Offensive Team:
- Chance to score on a Breakaway initially (score with back pressure)
- Teach to isolate a (tired) defender & create a 2v1
- Shots on net (scoring chances) earn you more offense (another puck from Coach)
- Holding on the puck (puck protection) tires out an already tired defense
- Finishing offensive plays in small areas