The Use The Net 2 vs. 1 Drill is an excellent drill from Topher Scott that allows players to work on puck retrievals, angling, breakouts and 2 on 1 rushes.
- A coach chips a puck into the offensive zone and a forward and defenceman start to chase after the puck.
- The defenseman collects the puck and looks over their shoulder to determine where the forechecking pressure is coming from.
- The defenseman uses the net to take a tight turn and protect the puck around the net, or uses the net to cut back up ice.
- After the defenseman uses the net, they make a breakout pass to one of the two wingers, who are reading the play.
- The wingers curl and begin a 2 vs 1 against the original defenseman, while the forechecker skates off back into the line.
- This can be half-ice or used on both ends of the ice to be a full ice drill.
- Use the net!
- Look over your shoulder to understand where the pressure is coming from.
- Practice deceptive breakout passes (look one way and pass another way). Watch a video of Cale Makar practicing breakouts and using deception.
- Keep your stick on the ice to use your stick to angle and disrupt on the forecheck.