This is a 2 on 1 drill submitted by one of the Ice Hockey Systems members. This is a great drill to keep in mind when you only have one goalie at practice. It set up nicely to teach the players how communicate with the defense or read the play to backcheck to the open player.
2 on 1; 2 on 1 With Backcheck:
- D1 skates backward, turns and picks up a puck.
- At same time, X1 and X2 skate swing as shown.
- D1 skates behind net and passes to X1 or X2 who proceed 2 on 1 on D2.
- Switch sides half-way through.
Variation - (2 on 1 backchecker):
- X3 skates at same time behind net, light forecheck pressure and backchecks picking up either
X1 or X2.
- encourage D1 to use back of net for puck protection.
- Heads up tape to tape, crisp passes.
- Defensive communication between D2 & X3.
- Emphasize X1 & X2 read and react to forecheck time and space from X3 & D2.