The O’Reilly Quick Hands in Tight drill is an exercise that helps with quick reaction and lateral movement in front of the net. After a rebound or scrum in front of the net, it is important to be able to react quickly to shoot, or change your shooting option by stickhandling or exploding laterally with your legs. This drill is named after Ryan O'Reilly who uses this drill to work on quick hands. You do not need obstacles like the video above shows, you can sticks on top of pucks or other objects. View Ryan O'Reilly practicing the drill here.
- Put 3 pucks on each side of the net as shown in the video.
- Grab the first puck and stickhandle through the obstacles and shoot on the opposite side of the net.
- Grab another puck and make your way through the obstacle until you shoot all of the pucks.
- When shooting, elevate the puck to get it away from sticks.
- Use leg power to move and explode laterally.
- Practice keeping your head up!