NEHDA Continuous Retrieval Outlet is an excellent drill from NewEdge Hockey that helps players practice puck retrievals, scanning the ice, passing, shooting, and more.
- Spilt up the players into two groups and have each group on a face-off dot.
- To start the drill, a player chips a puck into the corner, P1 retrieves the puck and passes it to P2 at the point. P2 walks the blue line, takes a shot, and then jumps to retrieve a puck in the opposite corner. The next player in the opposite line, P3, chips a puck into the corner for P2 to retrieve.
- The drill is continuous and there are a variety of retrievals techniques that can be practiced. A few that are shown in the video are:
- Part # 1 Face Up Ice: Retrieve the puck and get it up ice as quickly as possible.
- Part # 2 Puck Protection & Shot: Retrieve the puck and perform to puck protection cutbacks along the boards before passing the puck up.
- Part # 3 Puck Protection & Shot With Tip: Retrieve the puck and perform to puck protection cutbacks along the boards before passing the puck up. After a player passes the puck to the point, they go to the front of the net for a tip.
- Variation: Players can throw puck off the boards instead of a direct pass to the point, so the defenseman works on collecting the puck at the blueline before they take a shot.
- Head up: Focus on strong surveys / scans before retrieval.
- Deception: Be deceptive and decisive and get the puck on your hip, eyes up and make an excellent pass.
- Shooting: Get shot off quickly.