Here is a setup for a half ice practice session. This series includes four drills that work on puck control and skating skills. This setup uses the ice efficiently and allows players a good number of repetitions. Have at least one coach monitoring each line to help players with the fundamentals.
Control Turns with Puck
- Players slalom throught the tires or cones as shown.
- Players should use outside edge of inside leg.
- Inside leg should lead.
- Players should lead with head and upper body.
- Control puck with closed blade, if blade is open they will lose control of puck.
Backwards with Puck
- Be sure to use a closed blade.
- Maintain good posture.
- Encourage players to keep head up.
- Use C-cut to iniate backwards control turn.
Inside Out Full Circles
- Maintain good hockey position.
- Lead with upper body (rotate chest towards inside of turn).
- Keep blade closed to control puck.
Inside Out Facing Forwards
- Players should stay on balls of feet especially transitioning forwards to backwards and backwards to forwards.
- Keep head up and looking forward.
- Keep blade closed when controlling puck around tires.