This is a great drill to practice the concept of shooting in stride. It is a simple half ice drill so players can focus on shooting in stride without anything else to distract them.
- Players form two lines at the hash marks as shown. The first player skates out to the red line and towards the opposite coach (or player) and calls for a puck. Their feet are moving the entire time.
- Players need to receive the pass and shoot in stride before the cone. It appears to be an easy drill but it is challenging if players are forced to keep their feet moving and shoot before the cone.
- Communicate! Encourage verbal communication (calling for the puck) and non-verbal communication (player should have their stick on the ice showing where they want the pass).
- Shooting tips: Shoot while your feet are moving so you surprise the goalie.
- Stopping at the net for a rebound.