The Angle Regroup 2 vs. 1 is an excellent drill from Topher Scott that helps forwards work on angling while the defense practices getting the puck up ice. The second part of the drill finishes with a 2 vs. 1.
- This is a full ice drill that runs out of both ends of the ice. The drill starts with a coach making a cross-ice pass to a defenceman.
- When the cross-ice pass happens, two forwards from center ice curl towards the defenceman. The first forward (F1) skates and angles to the defenceman and tries to prevent the defenceman from getting the puck to the second forward (F2). The defenceman can make a pass or chip the puck on the boards to get the puck to F2.
- When F2 gets the puck, both forwards swing down to the far blue line. They pass to the coach and regroup and head back up ice on a 2 vs. 1 or regroup on their own.
- F1 Forward: When angling, do not go straight on. Take an angle with your stick on the ice to prevent easy passing lanes.
- F2 Forward: Do what you can to be a good outlet for the defenceman. Stick on the ice and get open.
- Keep your head up so you can see where the pressure is and where your outlet is.