The 4 Corner Possession Game (with Defensive Advantage) is a fun small area game that encourages players to use their teammates in the corners for support. The setup of this game allows for a lot of creativity. Offensive players should focus on give & goes, while the defending team should focus on angling techniques, and keep their sticks on the ice to block passing lanes.
- Two nets back to back in the center of the zone (as shown in the diagram)
- 2 v 2 and each team has 2 extra support players in their defensive end
- The support players must stay in their boundary (can be cones or tires)
- Coach dumps puck in to start
- Change players every 30 - 45 seconds - the 2 v 2 players can rotate to become support players, then rotate out
- Keep score!
- Goalies - be aware of the puck at all times, especially with the reversed nets! Practice following the puck when it is in the other zone and be aware of where all of the players are.
- Defense - keep sticks on the ice, and use good angles to block passing lanes & opportunities
- Forwards - use your support players and work on give & goes. Utilize the nets in the middle of the ice as areas you can hide behind and then jump to space.
- Everyone - communicate! This is a fast pace game, so make sure to communicate with your teammates.
- Can set up to be 2 v 2 (as shown above) or 3 v 3
- Can set up Offensive Advantage (place the support players on the offensive side of their zone)
- Can set up Cross-Ice Advantage (place one support player on the defensive side and one support player on the offensive side, but have them on the same side of the ice so they can make cross-ice passes)
- Can set up Cross-Ice Advantage Mixed (place one support player on the defensive side and one support player on the offensive side, but place them on opposite corners of the ice so they can NOT make cross-ice passes)